A guy I worked with hooked me up with someone that is building a vintage race car and wanted to have some intake manifolds cast. He could not get a foundry to even quote on it since he only needed 3 pieces made and it would take a complicated pattern with 3 sand cores. So I thought that I would try to make it using lost foam.
I got a CAD model and cut the pieces out of pink foam.
The runners. I cut one side and flipped the part and cut the other. There are a couple of tabs that keep the part from falling out.
The parts all glued up
The foam part dipped in 15 min. drywall mud.
Well, it almost turned out. There was a cold-shut on one of the runners.
Otherwise, the part looked pretty good.
Stay tuned for part 2 :)