Tailstock Ram

After the leadscrew issue was resolved, I turned to the tailstock ram.  I mounted the temporary mounted bearing that I had used when I bored out the tailstock.  I proceeded to face off the end of the stock when....the cross slide tapped hole in the carriage stripped out (I can't win lately).  I really don't know why it stripped, it just did.  To fix it, I updated to a brass screw and installed a thread adapter.  The thread adapter has a 1/4-20 female thread and a 3/8-16 male thread.  It also came with Loctite on the male threads.  I drilled out the carriage and tapped it for that 3/8-16 thread and screwed in the adapter.  Fixed!

  I drilled out the end of the stock as Gingery describes and it actually worked!

Lacking a boring bar, I improvised and used a solid carbide 1/4" endmill from my CNC router.  I set it up so that the tips of the 4 flutes were at 12 o'clock, 3 o'clock, 6 o'clock & 9 o'clock.  I also had it set up a slight angle to the ways so that the cutter would only contact the stock with just the tip of the endmill.  It worked great!

The picture turned out blurry, bu let me assure you, the finish is smooooth.

Here is the tailstock all finished.

Here I am turning a test piece to check for run-out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.